Monday, May 22, 2017
Monday the 22nd of May marks the fourth anniversary of the death of 25-year-old Fusilier Lee Rigby who was brutally murdered by two Islamists near the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, south-east London. Tributes to Lee included a parade and a memorial motorcycle ride by the Rigby Guardians.
Election observers from Uganda and Guyana will be monitoring voting in one of the most multicultural constituencies in the UK, which is known for having played host to a series of huge electoral fraud scandals.The delegation of foreign MPs and politicians is being sent to check for foul play in the Birmingham constituency of Ladywood by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association UK (CPA), the Birmingham Post reports.
The seat returned a massive Labour majority in 2015, but observers found activists illegally campaigning inside polling stations. Couples and extended families were also found to be going into voting booths together in apparent effort to influence voters.
In 2005, five Labour councillors in Aston and Bordesley Green – areas of Ladywood – were banned from standing and a by-election was triggered following allegations of massive voting fraud, death threats, intimidation, and bribery in the 2004 elections.
Three candidates – Mohammed Islam, Muhammed Afzal, and Mohammed Kazi – were found to have run a “vote-rigging factory” in a disused factory where fraudulently acquiring postal voting slips were processed.
Upholding allegations of vote rigging, Election Commissioner Richard Mawrey QC concluded there had been “massive, systematic and organised fraud” that would “disgrace a banana republic”.
Uganda herself has a poor record for upholding democratic processes, with the president recently extending his 30-year reign after allegedly keeping his opponent under house arrest during an election.
Parliamentary Association UK chief executive, Andrew Tuggey, said: “This is a vital element of CPA UK’s commitment to enhance openness and transparency in parliamentary democracy across the Commonwealth.
“Assessing elections upholds the core values of the Commonwealth. I warmly welcome parliamentarians and election officials from across the Commonwealth and thank them for their commitment.
“Their assessments will add value to the UK’s electoral processes, and I know they will find the Mission extremely interesting and worthwhile.”
A total of eight UK constituencies are to be monitored by the CPA this year, with a delegation from Jamaica, Australia, Kenya, and Tonga heading to East Devon and one from Sierra Leone, the Seychelles, and Antigua and Barbuda going to Darlington.
A failed asylum seeker and a member of a “hugger mugger” gang has been jailed for attempted rape of a woman in Canterbury who was only saved thanks to the intervention of three local men.Eighteen-year-old Moroccan Housny Boulaiz was convicted of kidnapping and sexual assault and sentenced to three and a half years’ imprisonment following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court, reports KentOnline.
Boulaiz, a known drug user whose asylum application was rejected by the Home Office, sexually assaulted the woman on 5 November 2016 before being stopped by three Canterbury men who heard her screaming.
One of the rescuers, Edd Withers, 30, was working for his cake delivery firm when he spotted the girl being dragged to a car park.
Mr. Withers and two other local men, Charlie Vanstone and Sam Eagleson, approached the Moroccan who then ran away.
“We went over there and he was literally in the process of assaulting the young woman,” Mr. Withers said. “He was lying on top of her and no one knows really what might have happened.”
“It’s frightening, but I’ve been in Canterbury 10 years now and nothing like this has ever happened to anyone I know,” he added.
The young woman had been celebrating Bonfire Night with her friends in the cathedral city, labelled as one of the safest university towns in the country, before she was kidnapped.
Judge Heather Norton described the failed asylum seeker of no fixed abode as “well-practised and predatory”. Sentencing him to serve his time at a young offender’s institute, she told the Moroccan: “It is likely at the end of your sentence you will be deported – but that’s not a matter for me.”
The judge then praised the good Samaritans and recommended they receive a High Sheriff’s Award for their actions.
Boulaiz, who came to the UK illegally in the back of a lorry at the age of 10, was previously part of a “hugger mugger” gang along with two other failed asylum seekers who robbed a Taiwanese student of her mobile phone in the city.
The migrant youth was convicted for robbery along with the other members of the gang, Moroccan Yassine Hamadoni and Algerian Adil Nazar.
Hamadoni, who was on bail at the time of the mugging, had previous convictions for burglary and 10 shoplifting offences. He was also convicted in 2016 of a sex offence in London.
Canterbury Crown Court is this month also hearing the case of four men of Afghani heritage, including an asylum seeker, who are accused of gang-raping a 16-year-old girl in Ramsgate.
Last week, founder and former leader of the English Defence League Tommy Robinson was arrested for contempt of court for allegedly filming the accused on the court’s steps.
The judge in the gang rape case is due to sum up proceedings early next week.
Almost all murders and attempted murders in Sweden using firearms are carried out by people with foreign backgrounds, according to a new study.According to research carried out by Dagens Nyheter, 90 out of the 100 offenders and suspected offenders examined by the liberal daily newspaper have at least one foreign-born parent, the vast majority having roots in the Middle East and North Africa.
In around half of the cases, the men were born in Sweden whilst others migrated to the country at a young age. The study looked at 53 convicted and 47 suspected perpetrators involved in shootings in public places which have taken place since 2013.
“The fact is that street gangs, and violence are phenomena that occur in some areas, and most of the people who live in these areas are of foreign descent,” said Amir Rostani, a sociologist at Stockholm University.
Around 80 per cent of the men have roots in the Middle East and North Africa, with offenders having roots in Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Turkey, Somalia, and Eritrea.
“This is well in line with a study I previously conducted, on members of criminal networks,” Amir Rostami told Dagens Nyheter.
The newspaper noted that whilst Sweden’s Crime Prevention Council (Brå), which is responsible for compiling official crime statistics, have released a number of reports on gun-related violence, none of these have looked at the background of perpetrators.
“[The background of offenders] is not something that the government has ever asked us to examine,” said Lars Korsell, co-author of the 2016 report ‘Criminal Networks and Gangs’.
Brå Director General, Erik Wennerström, said he is now open to the idea of examining offenders’ ethnic backgrounds in future.
“I think we could discover some interesting things if we investigate this data,” he told Dagens Nyheter.
“We already knew that the new arrivals are generally overrepresented in crime, but we don’t know how long will it take before these trends start to slow down.
“We try to keep an eye out for patterns we can study so as to gain new insight into crime, this could be the one. This could well be one such pattern.”
At a two-day rally to protest rampant violence in Rinkeby, where 90 per cent of residents were either born abroad or to two foreign parents, speakers blamed racism, colonialism, and politicians for crime in the suburb.
The rally, ‘Suburb of Violence’, was held after Rinkeby saw 22 murders take place in less than two years.
The Austrian newspaper ‘Krone’ yesterday published an interview with the 15-year-old victim of the Tulln gang rape, which took place at the end of April 2017. An Afghan and a Somali asylum seeker have been arrested in the case, while a third suspect is still at large.
The victim is opening up on Facebook:
“Yes, I am the victim. I am glad, that there are people who give me strength and help me rebuild myself again and again. I thank you.“
The girl furthermore relates that she now engages in self-harm through scratching and cutting her arms, in order to relieve her psychological pain.
But above all else, because the perpetrators have “destroyed her life”, she voices one wish:
“I want to see my tormentors severely punished.“
While messages of sympathy pour in for the young victim, the rumour mills are turning again. Were there attempts to cover-up the whole affair?
The accusations levelled at the police are harsh. The possibility of a ‘cover-up’ is discussed in the media. Clear above all else, is that the triple rape of the young Austrian citizen was not made public immediately after it happened at the end of April, but only in May, during the course of investigations, requiring samples from 59 men for comparison with samples found on the victim.
The police has defended its conduct by pointing out that it was necessary for the investigation. According to the spokesman for the police, Johann Baumschlager, “information was withheld from the public in order to not endanger the first phase of inquiries.” In particular, the police were anxious not to alert the perpetrators and scare them into running off while DNA-samples were collected. Baumschlager also states that police:
“responded immediately by posting more officers around the container villages were the asylum seekers are accommodated.“
But even after this first phase of investigations, the police was not forthcoming with information about the case, and for good reason: Because while two of the suspects are apprehended, the third is still at large. Seemingly in order not to stimulate his willingness to escape even further, the police remain reluctant to give out more information.
The severity of the case has lead to a response in politics. In view of the upcoming elections in October, it is clear that this case will be at the forefront of the tough battle on immigration which is to play such a pivotal role. In the words of FPÖ politician Hafenecker:
“Countless cases already show, that the mass-immigration of predominantly Muslim men under the cover of seeking asylum is becoming an uncontrollable danger. (…) Even for ‘tactical’ reasons, accepting this kind of security risks for women is unacceptable.“